What to Expect When Attending A Car Seat Check Up Event
The car seat check event is one of the best ways to determine if you are using your child's car seat correctly. On average, almost 75 percent of all child safety seats inspected in Maryland are improperly installed or misused. Here are some things to expect when attending a car seat check event:
- Please pre-install the car seat to the best of your ability. You must read through your vehicle owner’s manual (car seat section) and car seat manual prior to the appointment. If you are replacing one car seat for another, read through the owner’s manual for the new car seat prior to your appointment. Bring all manuals with you that day.
- You will be asked to fill out a form, providing your name, address, the child's name, weight, height and age; and the year, make, model and mileage of your car. Unless required by law, your personal information will be used for identification purposes and data collection only.
- Plan on spending approximately 45 minutes per car seat, to fully assess and learn how to use your child's safety seat.
- If possible, bring your child(ren). Child passenger safety technicians will want to see how your child fits in the seat that you are currently using.
- Bring a spouse, friend or relative to help keep an eye on your child(ren) while you are working with the technician to install your child safety seat.
- If you are unable to bring your child(ren), please place a piece of tape on the car seat, level with your child(ren)’s shoulders, so that the technician can accurately determine your child(ren)’s shoulder level.
- Ask questions and be prepared to be involved in the checking process! Because it is your seat and your child, you should feel confident about how to reinstall it on your own or with help from a spouse, friend, or relative after leaving this event.
Please be patient! Bring snacks, soft toys, and other packable items for everyone's sanity and safety!
For information about events in the following counties or to make an appointment, call the following numbers:
Statewide 800-370-SEAT (7328)
Baltimore City 410-328-7532
Baltimore County 410-887-8717
Carroll Couty 410-876-4448
Harford County 800-515-0044
Howard County 410-313-6090
Frederick County 301-694-9002
Montgomery County 240-777-2222
Washington County 301-790-8366